Sunday, March 22, 2009

comment on recently posted work...

To Alex:

The feel of both paintings is definitely reading as you want them to read based on the description of the storyline you gave. The more monocromatic aereal shot is especially effective in conveying a sense of recycled manufactured structural bits and expresses a really effective thinness in structural quality that speaks to that story. The one with the building occupying the majority of the mid and foreground on the right side of the canvas still feels like it could use a bit of noodling in the shapes underneath the plateau on which it is built. The elements need to still feel more mechanical, as far as Im concerned, and I think all it would take is the introduction of just a few more straight edges in silouette, like a more makeshift steel bridge girder structure, you know what I mean?

To Jin:

The Indian robot you have there is really badass. I am totally curious to see how you are going to select the focal point on the robot and resolve the detailing within that focal point or area to create a leadin for the viewers eye to enter the space. To that end, I wish the Robot werent so central in the composition and I also wish I knew more of the storyline so that I could better understand the function of this robot in this scene. Mostly, I guess I need to be reminded as to whether this is a menacing robot or some sort of benign robot god that is descending upon the people to deliver either a message of doom or hope. As far as your aereal is concerned, I love you compositioal selection and the way you have integrated these pits into the landscape. Again, I would love to be reminded as to what kind of world it is you are going for in order to be able to better comment on whether you are getting to where you want to be with it or not.

To Alex:

The composition and lighting on this piece are working really well for you. For the most part, I enjoy how you are managing to integrate found architectual photography into the scene but in some areas I think it needs to be noodled a bit better. The area I am referring to most specifically is the right side of the composition with the building exposed to the yellow orange light. The windows, with their specific reflections, and the structure superimposed on it dont quite seem to integrate with the rest of the feel of the painting. Im sure that with a bit more time, youll figure out how to make that happen, though. Otherwise, badass!

yours truly,

Giuseppe

No comments:

Post a Comment