Sunday, March 22, 2009

Alex Hagelis wk 10 designs




Hey guys here is the concept of my story and the world. After the terrorist nuke explodes and destroys a quarter of the commercial district, ground zero is so contaminated that construction continues using very crude scaffolding techniques. There is no chance of manufacturing from raw materials so everything is recycled. Steel scrap is compressed into beams and flat sheet metal or ground up into a hybrid glass form.

The lower working class survives by contributing in the rebuilding process and building up while the upper class literally lives higher in the air. As years go by, the lower class suffer from horrible health problems and a shit quality of life and the upper class hear stories of the monsters who live below the clouds...

the first piece I was going for a more animation style so no dynamic perspective and a lot of the elements are exaggerated and not viable.

the second piece I experimented with photo collage working in black and white obviously and I would really appreciate any comments or techniques to finish the rendering and coloring it. I envision this piece as pretty monochromatic.

1 comment:

  1. Alex-
    Super cool, I like the dynamic lead in of the second illustration and also the megalithic vertical qualities of the color piece. with regards to the latter, spatially everything is reading well, the large building feels like its diverging vertically on its third vanishing point, and the tree-like trussing underneath doesn't feel substantial enough to support that size building, In a lot of cases there would be several sublevels for buildings of this size, maybe they're decayed and the trees are working there way through them, adding a little more visual weight. Aside from that perhaps there could be a pedestrian safety rail around the chasm, and shapes for the porthole windows on the top right that are more sympathetic to the framing shape.

    ReplyDelete