I am sorry for the lateness in posting but I was unable to access my comp because I had to wait for a new power supply to come in. Mine got fried during the storm last week. no fun.
Ok so i started to do a mid shot, trying to build it up as much as possible, and i did a quick shot with people. I am doing quick sketches on some function stuff to help explain a little more.

_____
PRECOM
Ok so here is my idea. I went around to a couple mobile home communities where I observed them and I also interviewed a few people from each place. I did this to get a better idea of who I am designing for and what their possible requirements could be.
Goal
To create a new way of living using prefabricated housing (mobile homes). Help build a stronger sense of community in the surrounding area.
Present
So currently the only real issues that seem to be common in these mobile home communities is the rent on the lot seems to increase every year. This is a problem because these people tend to be on fixed income or have low income. A lot of the people interviews were retired or just working enough to get health benefits.
5 year Plan
I want to modify the current structures with new technologies, with solar water heaters, a new recycling program that really breaks down categories for more efficient recycling. Give incentives for new better behavior that is not only good for the planet but also good for their wallets.
This all to get people comfortable and used to a new way of living, to help make the transition much easier. The new structure is going to be built on a new location. This location is going to in lower land value areas that are not in cities where mobile home communities tend to be.
25 year Plan
The goal by this time is to build a new structure that will become a partially self contained facility. There will be 5 levels with each one having a purpose. There will be an underground parking structure for visitors as well as the tenants. There will be segregation of the two to make sure people who live there will have parking.
I want this building to really become a strong connection point for building a community not just with the people who live there but also the people who live around this structure. I don't really want it to become an icon or a symbol but more of an example of what small community can be like.
First Floor - Shops, stores, pharmacy and etc. On the weekends there will be a farmers market.
Second Floor - This area will be similar to an arboretum. It has a public park with community a garden just for the tenants. There will be a pond and a estuary to filter some of the water waste created by the building.
Third & Fourth Floor - This where the mobile homes will be placed. They will be up on another level to help keep them segregated from the public area.
Key Features of the New Structure
Partially Self Contained
- Harvest wind & solar energy for electricity and heating
- Community Gardens (Oranges, lemons, figs, guava and etc.)
- Estuary for local water filtration that encourages conservation care
- etc.
Mobile Home
- Solar water heater
- Solar panels
- Vertical wind turbine & wind belt for collecting energy
- Trees and plants strategically planted
- Clay pot refrigerator concept for keeping food cool
- etc.
- Local shops, pharmacy and etc. Some of the people who work here could also be living in the building.
- Farmers market on the weekends
- A hub for people to gather
- Public park where people can come and relax, children can play
- etc.





M Goerner crit
ReplyDeleteGreat break down and graphics....but like my comments on the others on the side of the blog...need to see sketches and reference on the tech. to help define these ideas. The ideas here have so much merit, but there needs to be an extensive design exploration of how this will all work. Show how this new society could have outside influences come into common space, and serve as a potentially sought after place for intellectuals, progressive light footprinters, people in need of subsidized opportunities to reintegrate into society, or whom had circumstances that require a hook back into a safe and diverse place... Whatever the demographic, shots in and around the environment are needed. As for the 5 year solutions, I could see that there might be a need to augment water usage systems and all of the other utilities with a standardized unit to retrofit the existing houses.